A Look at Property Taxes in Kansas

A Look at Property Taxes in Kansas

KANSAS Did you know that the property tax is widely considered to be the most reviled type of tax levied upon Americans? Aside from the tendency of property taxes to rise year after year, this is likely because many homeowners feel that their homes have an excessively high appraised value. Fortunately, there are options available to homeowners and those who own commercial, industrial, agricultural, and mineral properties. A tax lawyer near Wichita can help Kansas property owners by filing a property tax appeal. As your property attorney is likely to inform you, almost half of all property tax appeals result in a reduction.

Appraisals of Properties

Your property attorney can answer any questions you have about the appraisal of your property. In Kansas, the county appraiser is required to view the exterior of all properties in the county every six years. The purpose is to determine the market value of your home . If your home’s appraised value goes up, you could be responsible for paying more in property taxes, depending on the budgetary needs of your municipality.

Factors that Determine Market Value

Your tax lawyer can help you understand the various factors that an appraiser considers when determining market value. These factors include the age, location, condition, quality, size, and style of the property. Then, the appraiser uses at least one method to determine market value. The first method is by comparing sales of properties that are similar to yours. The second is by considering the age of your property and what it would cost to replace it. The third applies to income-producing properties. It involves considering income from rent.

Methods of Protesting Home Values

If you feel that the appraised value of your home is too high and that you’re paying too much in property taxes, your tax attorney can file an appeal on your behalf. Within 30 days of receiving the notice of your property’s appraised value, your attorney can submit a protest to the county appraiser’s office. Or, your attorney may help you fill out a “payment under protest” form when you pay your property taxes.